First Responders are joining efforts to support the state of Florida. Almost 30 helicopters from the National Guard and Coast Guard are performing rescue missions. More air assets are being mobilized as the days progress. There are currently more than 2.5 million power outages. Governor DeSantis has more than 42,000 linemen ready and waiting to get the power back on in Florida. Generators are being used to keep healthcare centers functioning. 100 portable cell towers have been deployed to keep communications going.

“Lee and Charlotte are basically off the grid at this point,” he explained, adding that infrastructure would likely have to be rebuilt there and that damage to the counties was “extensive.” Furthermore, 100 engineers were on site to do bridge inspections, and he noted that there were reports of structural damages to bridges like the Sanibel Causeway and Pine Island Bascule Bridge.

DeSantis warned that the amount of water that’s been rising and will continue to rise is “basically a 500-year flood event.”

The governor said he had spoken with President Biden earlier in the morning, and that additional major disaster declarations are expected for more Florida counties.

Multiple Florida counties struck by Hurricane Ian, which is now a tropical storm, instituted curfews Wednesday and said those who don’t comply face fines and jail time.

U.S authorities are searching for 20 Cuban migrants who went missing off the coast of Florida Wednesday hours after Hurricane Ian tore through the area.

Ian has downgraded to a tropical storm but was expected to restrengthen over the next day. Hundreds are feared dead as the rescue efforts continue.

(Visited 575 times, 1 visits today)