Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced that unaccompanied minors will not be allowed to visit the city’s Millineum Park after dark due to a spike in crime.
Context: On Saturday, 16-year-old Seandell Holliday was shot and killed in Millineum Park around 7:30 p.m. promoting Mayor Lightfoot to enact the ban.
“Earlier this evening, a 16-year-old was tragically killed near Millennium Park. This senseless loss of life is utterly unacceptable,” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a statement. “Tonight, a mother is grief-stricken, mourning the loss of her child and searching for answers. My heart is breaking for the mother as she grieves this unspeakable loss.” (per Fox News)
Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the country prompting calls from conservatives to enact stricter laws and harsher punishments for those convicted of violent crimes.
Details: Lightfoot announced on Sunday afternoon that unaccompanied minors will not be allowed in Millennium Park after 6 p.m. from Thursday through Sunday as a result of the shooting.
“This new policy will be strictly enforced and violations will be dealt with swiftly. All of our residents and visitors under the age of 18 are welcome at the Park during the evening hours as long as they are accompanied by at least one responsible adult,” Lightfoot said.
What Comes Next: Mayor Lightfoot also announced that her office along with the police department will be reaching out to schools to ensure children are aware of the new rule.
Lightfoot also called on the Chicago Police Department to “accelerate gun traces for all firearms found in the hands of minors and to swiftly bring criminal charges against any adult who has provided a firearm to a person under the age of 18.”